Friday, May 23, 2008

An Eventful Week No Doubt

There are moments in everyone's life where it turns out there are no words to sum up what you're feeling, just words to describe what that feeling is like.

This is one of those times. Well, technically this is two of those times.

Dan snapped this one from the pit. Great job Dan.
Radiohead.

Three friends and I had the distinct pleasure of standing mere feet away from five of the greatest musicians of our time that collectively make up the English group Radiohead.

I was smiling the entire time I was in the pit, looking back and sharing glowing stares of disbelief at the fact that Radiohead was right there in front of us. Right there in front of us playing music. Radiohead is one of those (very) few bands that have continued to astound with each new release and nowhere is this more clearly stated than right in your face, live. Lighting packages aside, the show was phenomenal. Colin Greenwood makes you smile with his giddy jumping and his brother Johnny is just downright capable. More than capable really. I'd say he actually verges on tear-inducing. And what a joy it is to see Thom Yorke completely embracing the status of a front man, completely comfortable now (seemingly) with taking the reigns and guiding the beastly stallion that is Radiohead through an entire show. He just looks happy now. The Boomers had the Beatles and the Stones, we've got Radiohead.


Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I wanted so desperately to like this movie. Imagine my surprise then when I came out of it absolutely loving it. This isn't because I am a complete fanboy, although that really helps, but it is because while it sometimes doesn't look completely like an Indiana Jones movie, it feels like one right from the start. Harrison is back. He's no longer phoning in performances in third rate buddy cop flicks and terrible romantic dramas. He is Indiana Jones. Good grief I feel like I am in 5th grade again. The movie is everything you want it to be, funny, exciting, action packed and filled with sci-fi fun. It is sentimental when it needs to be and it is frightening when it needs to be.

You might hear terrible things about this movie, but I think that the reason you might is because the people saying these terrible things aren't looking at this movie for what it is. Indiana Jones movies aren't supposed to be based in a complete reality. The Ark of the Covenant being found to melt faces off? The Kali Ma ripping still beating hearts out of still breathing human sacrifices? The impostor Holy Grail speeding up the aging process resulting in a corpse drying more and more by the second? NONE OF THIS STUFF REALLY HAPPENS. Somewhere along the line people must have started thinking these movies were supposed to be Schlinder's List because Spielberg was at the helm.

And Shia LaBeouf. As much as I don't want to give this guy a chance sometimes (mostly because he's just getting some amazing roles and I get snobbishly cynical about films) he keeps on delivering exactly what he needs to. The kid's got talent.

There are so many things in this film that will appease the fanboys like me, inside jokes, nods, whatever you want to call them. But there are also genuine moments that will make you smile no matter how old, young, jaded, or fresh you are in this world. It's got a serious heart and a charm that has had me hook, line and sinker since I was a kid.

Show me a world without an enjoyment of Indiana Jones and I'll show you a world I don't want to live in.

2 comments:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i can't tell you how insanely happy i am to see that you loved indiana jones. i have grown exhausted trying to defend how much i loved the movie to people who go on and on about how unrealistic it was.

i'd go off on how much i disagree, but i honestly don't think it can be said better than what you just wrote. and i'm with you on shia... i think he played the role he was called to play perfectly... and it is SO good to see ford back in action.

and as you already know from my blog... ditto on radiohead. i would have given anything to be front and center as you were... but even from the lawn... the show was mind-blowing.

crackers and cheese said...

I'm so glad you and Martha looooved Indiana Jones! I enjoyed it so much, that I almost saw it again yesterday, haha. Who knows, there's still a chance that I'll see it again this weekend. I think it helped that I'd already heard how unrealistic the movie was, and I was expecting exactly the type of film it was - a great, action-packed, fun popcorn flick with a lead character that you absolutely have to love! If you're looking for that, there's no way that it can disappoint.