Monday, March 30, 2009

Updates

Man some stuff has happened. And I want to talk about it all, I really do, but I can't motivate myself to gather pictures and songs and things that really make reading a blog fun, so that I can actually put them up here and make this thing even slightly entertaining for a Monday afternoon. One thing I really do want to gloss over because it's oh so sad and depressing, is that film composer Maurice Jarre has passed away.

It's sad because this man has created some of the most epic and beautiful film score work you've ever heard or will ever hear. The list is filled with greatness but one stands out for me and makes his passing so odd for me. Lawrence of Arabia is a godsend of a film. Long, gorgeous and still pertinent today as far as middle east relations go, it has been a favorite of mine for some years now and has been the source of multiple points of inspiration for me as well. Jarre's score for the film is a character, an aesthetic, a plot unto itself and it is something that I've recently been obsessing over, let's say for the past couple of weeks. This is why Jarre's passing is so odd for me and why it hurts just a little bit more than something like this normally would. The man was a true artist and the week, nay month should be spent listening to his vast catalogue of work.

Maurice Jarre - 84 years old.

1 comment:

Anton Seim said...

He was the best.

I'm putting in Lawrence of Arabia to watch right now.