Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Music Again

And here we find ourselves again at the head of another playlist I've decided to haphazardly paste together in an effort to showcase taste, something that even when done correctly still comes off more and more as a sort of egotistical flaunt. Then again, I'm probably just being modest and paranoid.

It's funny that I've managed this playlist, because just the other day I found a quote that describes perfectly my state of mind with regards to music. Indulge me if you will:
"Where once was a wide window of musical appreciation, there sits now a shuttered pane of essential favoritism." - Me, 2009
So in an effort to prove myself wrong, I went out of my way to find some new songs that have perked my ear of late. Ironic though, is the fact that two (2) of the artists are certified and have up to around 6 [at least] studio albums to their name. Two (2) also have some serious indie street cred and one (1) is the daughter of a couple pretty/talented people, [I've featured her work here before]. Regardless, here it is...

Music: Leaves Are A Changin'

1. Cale Parks - Breathe In Tact -- off of I don't know what. I know next to nothing about Cale Parks. I downloaded this track somewhere, have no idea where he comes from, no idea where this track originates, no idea what he is up to now. The one thing solid I do know about this song is that it ends a night perfectly. It's 3 am, you're rolling down a wet main street green and red halos light your path near straight as you can, and reflected off the cool asphalt is some other eerie second reality you're pretty sure is beginning to blur into your own. You need to breathe in tact, or keep your breathe intact... whichever applies to your situation.

2. Radiohead - Down Is The New Up -- off of In Rainbows disc 2. When this album came out I didn't give the second bonus disc a real listen, the main album was enough to fill my brain, and the concentrated enjoyment had no room to stretch to another album. Earlier this week this track came across on shuffle and I began my fantastic trip of consumption of this lovely bonus disc. Down Is The New Up became a climb into the foggy beginning of Autumn in Austin. Drizzle and haze, puddled chills. Radiohead will remain my generation's premeire musical group of auteurs.

3. Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM -- from the upcoming album of the same name. For her new album, Charlotte has teamed up with Beck Hanson to create a new set of hauntingly hypnotic tracks for the fall. Her last album, 5:55, was a wonderful little record of nighttime electronics done in collaboration with those suave Frenchies, AIR, and if this new track is any indication, she'll be moving her focus towards hypno-dance. How wonderful it is. Thanks for the help Beck.
4. AIR - You Can Tell It To Everybody -- off the new album Love 2. Pitchfork hates the album, but those that have fallen in love with AIR can't take it as anything less than perfect. The duo of Godin & Dunckel have always been masters of the lovable electro-lounge thing, and here they display it well. I just love that little harp melody's rhythm that starts this track off. I want to relax in a hazy mauve lounge, lit by Chinese lanterns through hookah smoke. There can be leopard skins on the floor, too.

5. The Love Language - Equinox -- off the Paste Music Sampler #52. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only place to find this track, that celebrates the loving reunion of friends/lovers in the fall of whatever year it may be. It is a little repetitive in it's melody, but is entirely comfortable with that. How can one not be, when you've a melody running through your head like the marathon man. These keys just kill my conscious mind, and may very well drive me crazy with catchiness. Please ignore any urge you may have to write The Love Language off right away because of their name, it sounds sappy, but damn it is more pleasurable than anything.


Here's to more frequency in the coming months...

No comments: