Tuesday, December 15, 2009

2009 Enjoyed: Part 1

So my absence from the internet hasn't really been felt, I'm sure. I'm not one that feels he absolutely has to be "present" on the web in order to live a fulfilled life, but I do absolutely feel that I have to be creative to live a fulfilled life. From this past summer to our current winter I've been busy creatively with what most would call a "band" but what I will forever call a part-time managerial position. It's been fun and it's been rewarding creating sounds and melodies with my writing partner, but the flip side has been the sometimes aggravating experience of working with new "creatives" (be they creative or not so). My enjoyment notwithstanding, I fully understand now why many musicians embark upon solo careers after stints with groups, famous or not. It can be exhausting, which is why I've not felt the need to post anything of length here. Until now.

One thing that has been consistent with me has been photography. There should always be a camera laying around your person (I never realized how much I used the camera on my phone until I got a new phone without one), because there is usually always something that will catch your eye interestingly enough to necessitate the taking of a photograph. And as much as I love words, Images have always impressed upon me more.

So I figured, in the first part of a 2009 recap, I'd start with some of my favorite personal photos of 2009. Personal in that I took them personally myself. With my own camera. There are some images I took at concerts, on vacation and just random images I thought were amusing/interesting. Anyway, hopefully you enjoy them, and hopefully they get you thinking of some of your own favorite instances of personal photography.

Away we go!

* * * * *

A joke at the heart of all Father's Day cards

speaking of Fathers. Here's mine lookin all Mormon... at a Carl's Jr.

Friend's cat, Herbie, in the tall grass.

My sweet lil lady

My sweet lil lady's amazing cooking ability

Summing up a summer's eve on the lawn @ Shady Grove

My gf has an awesome panoramic cam on her phone - Kauai

Ray-Ban took a photo of me at the Fort during SXSW

I bought a Motto Guzzi this year

My gf was attacked by crows Halloween night at our Hotel in Fort Worth...

...then again on the street! It was as if she were in The Birds.

Hard at work recording original compositions. That's Dan.

View from my bedroom window. That's Austin

My dad had a tree limb go all John Locke on his eye.

A trip to Scotsdale for sad reasons, but beautiful nonetheless.

Canopies in Kauai

Best show @ SXSW this year - Local Natives

M'lady awaiting a Cut Off Your Hands show @ Waterloo Park

Bad Veins SXSW show @ Dominican Joe's

Central Texas German Love during SXSW @ oldest beer garden in TX, Sholz Garten.

The Spirit of SXSW hard at work.

my loving setup

M'lady dressed as 'Strawberry Fields'

First show of 2009 for me, Brazos' barefooted Martin Crane @ Lambert's

Favorite road in Austin, Laurel Valley to Yaupon Valley Rds

First attempt at dual painting, me/gf. She's pretty AND talented.

Night shot in Kauai

Brit Daniel during SPOONX3 in July

my preoccupation with fog manifest. Downtown Austin

White Denim drummer Josh Block @ Mohawk in late October

my Moto Guzzi. you can see where I gave myself a nasty 2nd degree burn on the pipe

Brit Daniel @ SPOONX3, first time in the photo pit

M'lady

M'lady's pet Great Dane, Ferris. The Gentle Giant.

White Denim Vocals/Guitarist James Petralli @ Mohawk

Some species of plant in my gf's backyard

Dad taking a breather at my Grandpa's 90th Bday

Brit Daniel again, in photo pit, SPOONX3 @ Stubbs.

Hubert Dornak @ 90 years of age. We call him Pops.

War Stories from the South Pacific

Foggy night outside my house

First annual "Tent Pitch 08". Jorts were necessary.

Pops

Sister's Rehearsal dinner on Lake Austin.

TV Torso drummer Jordan Johns @ Mohawk indoors mid August

Pops

Dam on Lake Austin during sister's rehearsal dinner - mid September

Pops in profile

hi hat at home

A new found obsession with Nature's patterns - Tent Pitch 08 @ Krause Springs

A Mother and her Father @ rehearsal dinner cruise, Lake Austin

One of Austin's many cranes. First picture taken on my new camera, July

TV Torso's lead vocalist/guitarist, Matt Oliver @ Mohawk

More Nature patterns @ Krause Springs

First real self-portrait. Embarassing.

Krause Springs in the heart of the Hill Country

The week I ate healthy. Green/Yellow/Red/Purple

Songwriting core, probably not sober @ Fado's Pub

Typical of a snob, I'm skeptical during SXSW.

Finally joining a real football team, Chips & Guacagoalie

And finally... Whalers' first show @ Beerland in early October. I'm back there somewhere near the giant "N"


1 comment:

Anton Seim said...

I loved this. I like that your gf likes Harry Potter! Annnnd, Local Natives are incredible.

Weird small world - the violin player in that picture is a friend of mine. I sent her a link to you blog.