Monday, November 26, 2007

Music Monday: Rave-Up Edition

This past Holiday weekend brought me back to the good ol' days, of which I actually wasn't a part of no matter the frequency with which I wish I were born into. Needless to say I often pine for another time, musically speaking, and this week is going to capitalize on that. An old girlfriend of mine once told me that I was an "old soul." I wasn't sure how to take this because it was immediately preceded by a day's worth of breaking up over the phone, but I've come to take it as a compliment -- and I think its led to my tasteful pleasure in all things mod.


Music Monday: The Rave-Up

1 - The Strange Boys - Drugs Iggy Drugs -- A Strange Boys concert is an amazing thing. The aforementioned feeling of music nostalgia was brought about this past weekend from their show. The Strange Boys are a four piece from Dallas that now live in Austin. Since their move south, they've received nothing but more and more great press and I'm thoroughly excited to keep listening to them. Comprised of two brothers and two more friends, they're just a shade past the legal drinking age yet make music like they were born in the 60's. Yet another group of "old souls" to hang around.

2 - The Sonics - Have Love Will Travel -- I don't know too much about these guys, other than they fit the mold of everything I like about a good time. Kinks-inspired, and inspirational in their own right, this WA group made nothing but raunchy rock during their days together. They've inspired everyone from the above to new hipster faves The Black Lips. Off the album Here Are The Sonics !!!

3 -
The Kinks - Sittin' On My Sofa -- Off the troubled Kink Kontroversy, this is mod rock at it's best. It sort of makes you want to shake your hips while a technicolour strobe spins you 'round the polka-dotted room. The Kinks, an influence of The Sonics, and The Strange Boys were pretty much the hippest thing around at this point of the 60's.

4 - The Yardbirds - Honey In Your Hips -- Good evening, now it is time for Birdmerizing, Yardmerizing, in fact, most Blueswelling... Yardbirds. The Yardbirds are one of my all-time favorites. They are what you should be listening to when you go out on the weekends, when you ride your bike, when you want to enjoy life. The history behind this band is quite amazing... Eric Clapton started with them, when he left Jeff Beck joined, then came along Jimmy Page. They made an appearance in Michelangelo Antonioni's Blow-Up, and when everything was said and done with, Page took the group and formed The New Yardbirds... which eventually became Led Zeppelin. They're amazing and its really a tragedy that their catalogue has been butchered over time with release after re release, never giving fans any sort of comprehensive compilation. This track I got off of an mp3 CD I bought in St. Petersburg, Russia a year and a half ago. It says its off of For Your Love, but who really knows.

5 - The Strange Boys - Be Careful With That You Read -- One more from the Boys that kicked off this nostalgia. Again, if you get the chance to catch The Strange Boys live, do it. You'll love yourself for it afterwards. To the best of my knowledge, you can contact them at their MySpace in an effort to pick up an official release - if you're in Dallas you might try Good Records, in Austin, End of An Ear might have something.


This concludes our broadcast day.

4 comments:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

awesome! i've been wanting to hear some of the strange boys' stuff... i've heard so much about them.

and i love what i've heard from your other mixes. i need to listen more before i give any sort of real response. but rest-assured, i will.

ask anton... i'm never one to keep my opinions to myself.

Anton Seim said...

Another great playlist. Dude, I've totally hung out with the Strange Boys, they live up to there name. Good stuff, good, good stuff.

Anton Seim said...

And by there, I mean their...ugh.

Cara said...

hi there kyle, this has inspired me to dust off my player and pull out my kinks records. i look forward to next monday.

sincerely,
cara