Monday, December 03, 2007

Music Monday: Slice of Life

Not many ideas for an amazingly inspired playlist this week, there's just a stale plane of blankness that lay out where that ocean of creativity once filled. So this week I've simply got a little slice of life (or slyce of lyfe for my Hip-Hop readers), a reality TV-ish version of Music Mondays, something that requires little thought, but maybe something that will bring about entertainment. Hopefully though you'll find this dose a bit more intellectually stimulating than the dude from America's Funniest Home Videos interviewing questionably D-List stars after they've huffed and puffed across the dance floor. Here's a few bands and their accompanying songs that have been stuck in my head for the past couple of months. Hope you find some enjoyment.
Music Monday: Slice of Life

1 - Saturday Looks Good To Me - When I Lose My Eyes -- With a name as easy going as theirs, Saturday Looks Good To Me wouldn't seem like a band you might want to listen to right off. But the situation is quite the opposite, they are exactly the relaxed feel good music you want to hear on a Saturday. They're sort of oldies-inspired apathetic psychedelic pop/rock. I've been trying to review this album for a month now and that's the first time I've been able to pin my finger on it... Awesome. Off the album Fill Up The Room.

2 - Prints - Too Much Water -- I actually managed a review of this album, and let me just say, its great. Sort of an unexpected surprise. I found it by accident on my list of music to review, and it just fit perfectly with my person. The self-titled album is a solid listen and one you can just have on all the way through. For more info check out my review.

3 - Spoon - Rhythm & Soul -- You probably already own the album this track is off, the annoyingly titled Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (5 Ga's, not 4, not 6, 5)... this track is so damn good and the album is awesome. I know that's not very elegantly put nor does it probably sound very smart, but when you're dealing with something this good, succinct is better than anything. Plus I gotta give my hometown boys some love, even if they don't really need it. My guess is you'll find this album on a few Best Of lists this year.

4 - Zykos - Keep It Light -- Off the Keep It Light EP, this just recently came out and it is another great Austin band that is starting to receive bigger press on the national and international levels. Frontman Mike Booher's vocals are gravelly and emotive and this track showcases what great craftsmanship the group as a whole are capable of. Keep an eye on these guys.

5 - Dappled Cities - Fire Fire Fire -- This happy go lucky, very quirky group out of New Zealand have produced a great pop album in Granddance, from which this track comes. The first time I heard this album I was camping in upstate NY and I thought it was pretty good... then I saw them live down here on a lark and just simply fell in love. Greatness, Fun..ness, Great Fun.


Thus concludes the Slyce of Lyfe.

2 comments:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

slyce of lyfe. i love it!

spoon is one of my favorite bands right now.

anyway, i'm adding this now. feel cool... i have a folder on my iPod now: Kyle's Music :)

Martha Elaine Belden said...

ok... it's me again... sorry 'bout that. but i just got back from a roundtrip from dallas to fort worth and was able to really sit down and invest in your playlists. i have some comments.

first of all... i've decided to boost your ego and say: your taste in music is, indeed, exquisite... nifty... top notch... rad. pick one. they're all true.

second... my thoughts on the three mixes i was able to listen to (i haven't put the latest one on the iPod yet) ...

Playlist 101: made me feel like i should be hanging out with all my stylish friends in some swanky joint drinking cocktails... oh and it's all taking place in slow motion... and we all have perfect teeth and gorgeous smiles.

Night Walking: made me wish i was driving really fast down some deserted highway late at night... a million brilliant stars lighting the sky.

The Rave Up: this mix made me want to get high and dance around in my underwear with other high friends a la almost famous. now, i've never been high or danced around in my underwear in the company of friends... but i'm just saying. that's what this mix made me want to do.

anyway... love it all. can't wait to hear more and more and...