Thursday, January 10, 2008

Best Of's: The Belated Edition

I now realize that the whole Best Of craze is probably over, seeing as we're nearing the end of what is the second week in this foul year of our Lord 2008, but I figure, why not. Two weeks after everyone else's list means that you're not quite ready for it. So here's a hastily put together list for you to read with haste...

In No Particular Order (except for the first one, because I absolutely love Alamo Race Track now)

Albums of 2007 (I wrote reviews for some of these - see the highlights)
Alamo Race Track - Black Cat John Brown
Radiohead - In Rainbows
White Rabbits - Fort Nightly
Feist - The Reminder
Antelope - Reflector
Air - Pocket Symphony
The Beatles - Love (oh I know, but I'm a huge sucker for the Beatles)
Charlotte Gainsbourg - 5:55
Dappled Cities - Granddance
Dr. Dog - We All Belong
Ferraby Lionheart - Catch The Brass Ring
Gonzalas - Solo Piano (technically this came out in 2005, but its taken up so much of '07 for me, it gets a spot on the list)
Jennifer Gentle - The Midnight Room
Jonny Greenwood - There Will Be Blood
Pete & The Pirates - Demos (not technically supposed to have this, but it is really stinking good)
Prints - Prints
Silverchair - Young Modern
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
The Thrills - Teenager
White Denim - Let's Talk About It EP
Zykos - Keep It Light EP

Films of 2007 (if not great works of art, then films I simply got a kick out of) (also some of these might have been released in '06 but not gotten to a theater near me until '07)
No Country For Old Men - Is this a no-brainer at this point?
Paris, Je'Taime
28 Weeks Later
3:10 To Yuma
Darjeeling Limited
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Grindhouse
Hot Fuzz
I'm Not There
Juno
The Lookout
King of Kong
Ocean's Thirteen
Rescue Dawn
Shoot 'Em Up
Superbad
TMNT (gotta love ninja turtles)

and finally... Best TV of 2007 (a tentative list)
I don't watch much TV, but these shows I saw were excellent
Mad Men
Lost
How I Met Your Mother
Chuck
Californication
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Flight of the Conchords


So there you are, as comprehensive a list as I can give. If you want a more detailed description of what I personally thought of any of these, let me know. I love to wax poetic on the state of our popular art forms. Hope your 2007 was just as eventful, media-wise.


No comments: