Thursday, February 28, 2008

NEWS: Irish Christians Dislike What I Have To Say

**UPDATE**
We've all had a good chat and a laugh about this. Supersimbo made more clear his position and point with his post. I'd like to say that there were never any hard feelings coming from either of us just for clarification, and some of his commenters made great points, most notably the person who states that I didn't use the term "shit" in correct context. I didn't, and oh how I laugh at my stupidity. It's all been chuckled off. I love the internet.

*original post follows*

Writing for an online music magazine is a great source of pleasure for me. It gives me the opportunity to speak my mind about something that is a big source of joy in my life. Rarely do I get very emotional about things, I am a laid back guy that is mostly okay with everything that goes on around me. Music and Film are two of the things however that really give me something to get excited about (however lame and apathetic to important global crisis that may make me sound).

I have never pretended to be an authority on anything that I write about, but I hope that my eagerness and love for what I do put into words shows through and that people at least take what I have to say on said subjects with a little bit of seriousness.

With this said,

I checked my email early this afternoon to find that something I'd written actually made its way all the way across the pond to Northern Ireland, in print no less. This is a pretty big thing for me, as nothing I've written has really garnered much attention outside a close circle of people I know.

You see, every now and then, much like with critic's blurbs about films, a quick little quote will make its way onto an advertisement for a band's upcoming album. You'll see these in magazines or on the sides of your webpages.. the little square or rectangular adverts that say, "The Skinny Jeans Band: Their new self-titled release drops on May 13th." Or something like that... then there'll be the quote, "'It's the best thing since pitted olives' - Hip Music Monthly" You must know what I'm talking about.

Well this has finally happened to me, and it has fulfilled my desires of becoming a reputable journalist. Or at least the first step to that desire.

If I had a copy of the ad in question I would show it (I've been scouring the city for a physical copy all afternoon, might have to order it off the net). It is for the artist, Ferraby Lionheart, a man I have actually featured in one or two of my Music Mondays.

Here is the original review I wrote for The Tripwire.

Pretty damn good review if I do say so myself.

The problem arises here, or rather earlier this month (February) when the ad for Ferraby Lionheart's album graced the pages of RELEVANT, a Christian Pop Culture magazine. One of it's readers had a big problem with what I had to say about the album, and with the fact that it showed up in his magazine...

Here's the fan's enthused blog post.

"amongst 'most christians' and amongst most customers i see, it is definitely NOT acceptable! So is it ok? I reckon there definitely are other ways for the Tripwire to 'put it'........don't you?"

Apparently, supersimbo and the other 15 or so commenters are up in arms over the fact that not only did I use the term "shit" in my review, but also that their beloved Christian Magazine ran the ad.

I realize a few of the people I know who read my blog are Christians, and I have no problem with that, in fact, it's part of the reason I love you. I just wanted to bring this up because I thought it amusing. Think what you want. I've just had a VERY good laugh at this whole thing.

note: I am not mentioned supersimbo's blog, or the magazine ad. It simply quotes, "The Tripwire." But it is my review they are referencing.

4 comments:

Anton Seim said...

Oh Kyle, I have so much to say about this, but I am busy commenting on this dude's blog. Please don't feel bad about using the word "shit" or for a bunch of Christians coming down on you for it. I thought it was a good review too.

supersimbo said...

man you may notice that i definitely did not criticize you for using the word "shit".......i simply stated that "..in Northern Ireland amongst "most christians" and amongst most customers i see, it is most definitely NOT acceptable!" i then asked for some opinion and feedback, which i got! I did state that there are other ways to "put it" but this is not a criticism and i am certainly not up in arms about it.

Snowjunkie said...

Just make sure you use it in the correct context next time!! hah hah!!

Martha Elaine Belden said...

wow, kyle!
this is why i love the internet.

a) how awesome that your review made it so far 'round the world!
b) hhahahah... i liked the guy's comment that "shit" is not enjoyable
c) as a Christian, i wasn't remotely offended by the use of the word. i don't know if this makes me a hypocritical Christian or one who has been living in the world too long, but i definitely use the word more often than i should probably admit, and since you weren't using the word in any sort of derogatory or insulting manner... merely in a manner to write emphatically... it seriously didn't bother me in the least.
d) seriously, awesome review. like... i can't wait to go buy the album now.
e) also, kudos to supersimbo and his friends for speaking up. even if i disagree, i think sometimes we're too ashamed to admit the things that bother us. as Christians, in particular, i think we (i know i do) worry that others will just think we're annoying and too easily offended, so we keep our mouths shut. so good on you, supersimbo and friends :)