Thursday, December 11, 2008

Music Monday: Gypsy Hibernation

When was the last time one of these was actually on a Monday?

I'm continuing with the Hibernation lists because technically we should all be taking the time during the holidays, a time of reflection and poor musical output, to catch up on some stuff that we haven't heard before. Today's list follows with this theme, and a little bit of joyous celebration for the cold weather, too. This list hopefully will have you ready to cozy up in your nearest neighborhood pub, in sweaters and mustaches (ladies may be clean-shaven), toasting mugs of your best thick brew (my recent favorite has been Schneider Aventinus, so dark, so tasty) - but most importantly, smiling. You'll probably be laughing harder than you ever thought possible, too, with a skinny mustached man who will most likely have a gold tooth (thinking an incisor). There will be festive gypsy hats aplenty and your drunkeness will continue into the wee hours of the morning.

I've slowly transitioned this from hopeful suggestion to stern instruction.

I am not familiar with Gypsy music other than what I've heard from genius/nutjob Eugene Hütz, or seen in film, so this list will pretty much reflect that, but there have been branches off on my own and hopefully there will be further branching from everyone after today. I get the feeling that while there is a tremendous amount of respect and honor to the traditions of Gypsy and Romany music there is always room for evolution, be that from new members, new ears, new stylistic forms, or new bellies that need be filled with brew. Let me know what you think... and if you've got any other suggestions for additions to the playlist, feel free to add to it on your own. Just let me know so I can join in on the afterparty.

Naj pala soste!

Music Monday: Eastern Bloc


1. As Munci La Plug Si La Coasa (Romica Puceanu) - Toni Iordache -- from Sounds From A Bygone Age Vol. 4. I heard this one morning a little over a year ago I think, as I walked into the local record store here (thanks for more impulse buys than anywhere else Waterloo Records staff) and I was instantly smitten. As far as I know, Toni Iordache is a ţambal maestro (a ţambal is sort of a xylophone-esque instrument). He was imprisoned in Romania for three years (sorry for the vague info here) sometime between 65 and 80 for owning foreign currency. Apparently, say these liner notes, it was illegal to own a single foreign dollar until 1980. He was so talented (and had enough cash) that while in prison, fellow inmates took on his workload so that he was able to actually play upon his release. Gotta love the love for the ţambal.

2. 24.000 Baci (feat. Eugene Hütz from Gogol Bordello) - Acquaragia Drom -- from Rom Kaffe. I don't know too much about Acquaragia Drom, I just found them by their association with Eugene Hütz. From what I know, Hütz put together a little gypsy music festival not too long ago and invited this Italian group to perform. They are quite good as far as I can tell. Plus, they state on their website that they are formed from "a little of Gypsy blood and lots of traditional weddings and feasts all around Italy." I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. It makes me want to load up on Italian carbs and kick my knees up in celebration.

3. Dikiy Muzhchina - Ленинград -- off of the Everything Is Illuminated soundtrack. The band's name is actually Leningrad, but my itunes gave it that cool Russian name instead, so I've kept it that way. From what I've noticed on itunes, Leningrad used to have a more traditional gypsy folk sound, but have recently "ghetto'd" up their outfit. The result is this charming sound of the eastern world. It's probably what it sounds like more and more over there, rather than the old softer folky stuff. But you can see the similarities. I love this song, and I thank the EII soundtrack for turning me on to a number of artists I continue to listen to and look for in record stores.

4. Amari Szi Amari - Csókolom -- again, off of the Everything Is Illuminated soundtrack. I chose to put two tracks from this album up because they are different sounds. Leningrad is a little more trumpety and ska-like, this track from Csókolom is a little more set in the traditional sound. There's a fiddle that runs throughout the track that pretty much sells your heart on love for life. I don't know too much about Csókolom, but they've got a couple albums on itunes and this track is included in one of them. I'd say it might be my next purchase during the winter music break. God I love new old music.

5. Madagaskar-Roumania (Tu Jésty Fáta) - Gogol Bordello -- off of the EP East Infection. I built this playlist around this song.. my favorite Gogol song. While I like what Gogol does with Gypsy music and the way they infuse punk and ska and all that into it, I think that when they do it on such a simple and minimalist scale as they do here, they are untouchable in terms of pure enjoyment. What Hütz's raw vocals bring to the table is unbelievable. This song sounds like a traditional Romany song but it's not, it's a Gogol Bordello song. If you're really looking to find where the heart of Gogol Bordello lies, I'd say look for the early EPs. This one, and Voila Intruder (which I'm still on the lookout for in physical form) are the two that I think really express what Gogol was formed upon and what they strive for. I don't want to bash them, but with their last two releases I feel like just a smidgen too much was placed in certain areas. It's good, it's great, but sometimes only in small doses. This track however, feels timeless.

That's it. Enjoy please with a pint or litre of thick beer.

2 comments:

Anton Seim said...

YAY! This is a good list and a good genre. Well played sir.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i'm SO excited to go home this afternoon and download this!

as you know, i've come to love gogol bordello, and i can't wait to hear some more great gypsy music!

seriously... these music mondays (or whatever days you decide to feature them) are the best. ever.