Monday, May 04, 2009

Music Monday: The Trip

It's really just a big ol' mash up of about 6 different ideas I had for lists, all half-complete, but hey who cares. Here it is anyway... and on a MONDAY!

I wanted to get this done because my friend, Anton, is headed out of the country for a month or so and I want him to listen to good music while he's gone. He's got great taste, so I'm sure he will anyways, but this is just a little extra bump of something new. Or maybe it's not new to him, who even knows these days, what with the ready supply of knowledge at everyone's fingertips. I had a friend once give me a mix CD before a two month trip overseas, and while about half of the songs were repeats for me, the pleasure of the whole of the album played together far outweighed the fact that I had doubles on my ipod. It was about the Playlist.

This little edition features 29 songs total [I'm pretty sure] and runs pretty close to all styles of music to be enjoyed. If you decide to download it, and it'll only be up for about a week I'd say, you'll find 8 folders, each containing anywhere from one to seven songs, depending upon how far along in the completion process I have found myself at this moment. The a couple lists have a point, a couple just comprise themselves of new music, and one is just a single 26 minute track from the film Jules Et Jim (I know you been digging it recently, Anton).

So here we go... I started out writing about each of these and man, it was a lot to write. I have about a paragraph for each of these tracks about why you should listen, sometimes more than a paragraph. If you really need to know why you should listen to these songs and feel like asking, feel free, I'll post any of my thoughts on any of these songs. For now though, just take a look at the track list I guess...

Music Monday: The Trip

After Beatles:: was supposed to be a quick 4 track sampling of each of the Beatles best song (as determined by me, at this current point in time) after their break up. I only got two songs in.
1. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) - George Harrison
2. Photograph - Ringo Starr

Austin's
:: this started out as an Austin's Best list, but quickly became just a list of songs by Austin artists new and old that I really like.
1. Empty Rooms - Sound Team
2. Culver City - Yellow Fever
3. Let Me Go - The Early Tapes
4. Poem Party - The Strange Boys
5. Mean Mad Margaret - Spoon

New
:: pretty self-explanatory. Full of new/newish tracks that you might not have heard. If you have, then you can pride yourself on it.
1. Inside Job - The Muslims (aka The Soft Pack)
2. La Llorona - Beirut
3. Kim & Jessie - M83
4. Video Tapez - Amplive (ft. Del tha Funky Homosapien)
5. Sleep All Day (demo) - Silverchair
6. The Lie - Bad Veins
7. Vacationing People - Foreign Born
8. Tree Bones - Port O'Brien
9. Airplanes - Local Natives

Old Warm
:: an older selection of jazz and country cuts. The warmth exuded from these three songs is immeasurable. Even if the country songs are lonely. Wish I had more for this one.
1. Django Castle - Django Reinhardt
2. Amelia Earhart's Last Flight - The Greenbriar Boys
3. He's Solid Gone - Maybelle Carter

WA Film
:: this was a list I was pretty excited about, but I never finished. Comprised of songs I thought Wes Anderson should have in his films it only totalled out to 3 songs. Two of them are here because the other one, Bob Dylan's "Fourth Time Around" wouldn't convert to an mp3 for me. This is another list I wish I had taken more time for and really finished. Maybe sometime down the line. It also is a little disappointing to not talk about these because they are definitely two of my favorite songs of all time.
1. Teddy Boy - Paul McCartney
2. Sunny Goodge Street - Donovan

Walkmen
:: A list I talked about a few times already, this was supposed to show a track from every Walkmen album to date just to emphasize how awesome they are. Their latest, You & Me was my favorite album of 2008.
1. Mucho Mongo - The Walkmen
2. There Goes My Baby - The Walkmen
3. Canadian Girl - The Walkmen

Wave
:: filled with four songs of late 70's/early 80's acts that have creeped into my heart over the past 3 years or so. The Smiths in particular. I love The Smiths. Glad that I can acutally appreciate their music at this point in my life.
1. Disorder - Joy Division
2. Venus - Television
3. This Charming Man - The Smiths
4. Seven Seas - Echo & The Bunnymen

Jules Et Jim
:: one 26 minute track called Suite Symphonique from the 1961 film Jules Et Jim by Francois Truffaut. It was a glorious tale of drama, intrigue, passion and relationship, and this suite emphasizes each bit of it. Anton, you're in the mood to make a little love story in NZ, here's a bit of soundtrack to help you out.
1. Suite Symphonique (Jules Et Jim) - Georges Delerue

* * *
Alright so that was a long post.

Please enjoy this if you'd like. It'll be up for a week or so. If it's down when you try to get it, let me know and I'll put it together again for you. And again, if you'd really like more on any of these artists, ask me I won't say no, how could I? (Thanks Morrissey.)

Good Luck on your trip Anton.

3 comments:

Anton Seim said...

You are the freaking best.

crackers and cheese said...

Wonderful playlist! Thank you Anton for inspiring this, and thank you Kyle for sharing this music with us :)

This was on a previous music monday playlist, but I really dig the Mountaineers song. I'd definitely like more on them, if that's ok?

crackers and cheese said...

PS - I also dreamed last night that Beirut and Radiohead were playing in College Station for free! Ha! If only . . .